Monday, August 6, 2012

One Day Early...But for a Good Reason!

Dear All,

I write to you this week one day early, because tomorrow we will have interviews with President Brough! I always love talking to President, because he always inspires me to do better. He really knows his missionaries, and he's 100% dedicated to the work. He loves what he does, and he loves every one of the missionaries of MisiĆ³n Central. I always try to bring him questions, so I can know what I need to improve, and know how I can be the best missionary I can. D&C 4 instructs us to serve with all our "heart, might, mind, and strength, that [we] may stand blameless before God at the last day," and I want to be blameless before God, so I seek President's help when I feel I need it.

So tomorrow, we'll be having interviews, a zone meeting, watching a movie, and probably getting new phones. It's interesting here, because our phone is a cell phone, but for a desktop. It has a handset and a cord, and to answer it, you literally pick it up, just like a home phone, but it's a cell phone. It has a big antenna and receives text messages and everything. District leaders will now have cell phones (like zone leaders, assistants, and secretaries already have), but I don't know what's in store for the rest of us. We'll find out tomorrow!

The rest of this week has been pretty good. I've been a little sick with a cold, so it's been a little harder to work, but I've made it through. My companion always pushes me harder to do more, which is awesome. It ensures that we never have the chance to laze around, and that we always get done the things we need to get done. Elder Luna is a great missionary, and I really hope he continues progressing after we are separated. Changes will be in two weeks, and I imagine the Lord will probably separate us. It's rare that two elders who aren't leaders are together for more than 2 changes (3 months), and on top of that, I'm his trainer, and they usually separate trainers from their greenies pretty quickly. It'll be interesting to see what happens with us, but whatever happens, it's been a great time with Elder Luna.

Also, something really cool happened this week. Gilbar, who we baptized and confirmed last Sunday, came out with us on a lesson. He's got a really great testimony, and he's a fantastic man. He really helped the young man we were teaching, even though Gilbar is old enough to be his father. Also, on Fast Sunday (1st Sunday of every month), the brethren of the Priesthood here in the Sonora ward go out and make visits. Yesterday, we were walking along the streets of Proyectos, the neighborhood where we do most of our work, and we saw 4 men in white shirts making visits: one of the young men, about 13 years old, Brayan, one of our recent converts, Geovany, the Elder's Quorum President, and Gilbar!!! It was so cool to see that even though he's only been a member of the Church for about a week, he's already getting in the Spirit of serving others, and helping them to come unto Christ! I am so excited for all of our new members!

Just to finish off, I'd like to share my testimony. I've seen the power of God, the power of the Priesthood, and the power of the Holy Ghost to change hearts, and to change lives. Seeing the change in Gilbar's countenance as he was baptized and confirmed just affirmed that. There was literally a noticeable difference in his face after being baptized. This, along with other experiences I've had, confirm to me every day of the reality of God, and of his Son, our Savior Jesus Christ. They really are watching over each and every one of us because they want what's best. They know much better than we do what we need to do in this life to be able to be happy, and to be able to be happy for eternity in the life to come. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true, and that the authority and power of the Priesthood-or the authority and power God gives to men to act in his name-are real, and are found only in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It's the only place one can receive the ordinances of salvation, and return to live with our Heavenly Father again. I know these things to be true. If I didn't know that this is true and important, I would still be at home playing around on the computer. But, as President Uchtdorf once said, "I am doing a great work and cannot come down." So if you miss me, think of that. Know that I miss you too, but this is where I need to be, and where I'd rather be, at this time.

May each of you have a fantastic week! Thank you for all of your prayers.

Yours in the Faith,
Elder Banks

No comments:

Post a Comment