Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Baptizing a Future Bishop and his Family

Dear All,

This has been an absolutely fantastic week for the Central Mission, especially in Villa Nueva 1. We baptized the Yumán family! They overcame challenges of their son's accident, difficulties at work, and all kinds of things to be able to be baptized. They are probably the most faithful family I have ever had the privilege of meeting. I really feel that the dad, Edgar, will be a bishop, or have some other position in the fairly near future, due to his faith and diligence, and desire to serve and to follow Christ.

President Brough was at Stake Conference this weekend, and after the meeting, came up to meet their family. He shook their hands, counted the kids and said "1, 2, 3, 4 Missionaries!" (Not counting the little sisters). It was pretty cool. I had the privilege of baptizing Edgar: I baptized him, and he came up out of the water crying. He gave me a hug right there in the baptismal font. He was so happy! The next day, he told us that he felt in that moment the weight of responsibility fall on his shoulders, to endure to the end, and teach his family how to do so with him. The day after his baptism, people already started asking him questions about the Gospel, and he had some pretty good answers!

The kids also play games in their free time. They put on their ties, and they knock on the bedroom doors in their house and the other siblings answer, and they act like they are missionaries going to visit people! It's so cool! The Zone Leaders interviewed the family, and asked one of the kids what he wants to be when he grows up, and he said, "A missionary." Since they have to wait a year to be sealed in the temple, I'm planning on coming back to be there when they go through.

It was perfect timing for their baptism as well, because Elder Martinez left in the change meeting yesterday. He went to Mariscal, the same zone as my first area. Or, as we say it here, where I was "born." In other news, Elder Muñoz left Puerto San José, and opened an area and is TRAINING!!! He's parctically brand new, and he's training. I knew he would go far, because he's one of the better missionaries I know. Also, Elder Daniels, who entered with me, is training in the area where I was trained: Jerusalén.

My new companion is Elder Gabriel, from Huehuetenango, Guatemala, which is part of the Quetzaltenango mission. His native dialect is Mam, and he's had to learn Spanish here in the mission. He's doing pretty well, and he's a great Elder. He's also my first Chapín (that's what they call Guatemalans) companion. I'm excited to be able to work with him. It's weird though, because my last 2 companions have been from the USA, so I've gotten too used to speaking English with my companion! But there's no problem, because my Spanish is just fine.

I end my letter with a favor. The mission has set some big goals for March and April, to confirm 204 people in each of these months. We humbly ask for your support in the form of prayers. President Brough instructed us to pray as if it all depended on God, and to work as if it all depended on us. There are souls waiting to participate in this sweet salvation. Please help us find them.

I testify that Christ lives, and is our Savior and Redeemer. He and our Heavenly Father love us more than we could possibly imagine. And although Moses once said "Now I know that Man is nothing." (See Moses Chapter 1, the Pearl of Great Price), for our Heavenly Father, we are everything.

"Remember, the worth of Souls is great in the Sight of God.
And if it should be that ye should labor all your days, and bring save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the Kingdom of my Father!
And, if your joy should be great with soul that ye have brought unto me, how great shall be your joy if ye should bring many souls unto me!"
-Doctrine and Covenants 18:10,15-16

Thank you, I love you all!

Elder Banks



No comments:

Post a Comment