Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Baptism!!!

OK, I'm just going to say it: This past Sunday we had the 1st baptism of my mission!!!
Wanda, a 10-year old girl, and her 8-year old brother Omar were baptized. I probably said this already, but their parents are inactive members, so Omar wasn't a convert baptism, but Wanda was. Their mom's cousin baptized the kids, not us, but it was still really cool. My companion and I got to be the witnesses, and we had an investigator come as well! Both of the kids will be confirmed next Sunday in Sacrament meeting. It was a really cool feeling.

Sadly, one of our most promising investigators, Marisol, is acting like she doesn't care about our message anymore. She's getting harder and harder to find at home, though when we do catch her in the house she listens intently and everything. She's been reading and praying, as well as attending church. Before this Sunday, she was acting like she wanted to be baptized, too.

The good news is the Spirit is awesome. My companion and I have been knocking a lot of doors, because we had only a couple investigators when he came, and the President is really pushing contacting. We've found a lot of new people, but it's hard to find them at home for the second appointment. But contacting, especially yesterday, has been cool. He makes me do some of them completely alone, which I am usually able to do. If I completely fail, or it's a weird situation, he jumps in and helps me. Honestly, sometimes I wish he would let me do it more. The coolest part started yesterday. I would get a feeling to knock a door, and he would be just ahead of me, heading for the same door! Basically, that means that Heavenly Father wanted us to knock that door, because the Spirit told us both to do so. It's a really neat feeling. I love the work!

Also, on Friday, we had interviews with President Brough. I told him some things I'm working on improving, and he told me basically that I'm still new, but I'm on the right track. I also thanked him for putting me with my awesome companion, because I am learning a lot from him, and we are getting along really well. President Brough is very inspired, because some of the things he asked me and that he brought up in the interview were some of the very questions I had for him about things I wanted to improve. I'm learning a lot from him, and I'm really glad to have him as my mission president. He also pushes us hard, with a lot of goals and rules, because he knows we can accomplish them.

Yesterday was pretty uneventful, but it was still a good p-day. We made our own lunch, which was unusual, because usually on p-day we eat out, or we go to Hna. Petrona's house for lunch. We bought tortillas from my favorite tortilleria, and I ate them with some beans, and some fried plantains that I made, which were absolutely delicious! Plantains are baiscally big bananas with a slightly different flavor. They're usually served fried, but I've had them boiled, and apparently you can eat them raw, too, if you really want to. I'll definitely be buying and frying plantains again, because they're delicious. Who knows, I may even fry up some bananas, too, one of these days!

Also, I had the chance yesterday to write a couple of letters, so watch your mailboxes!

Also, we decided last week to stop giving English classes at the chapel. We were doing it every Saturday, but what kept happening was that nobody would show up, or we would have one or two people show up late, and that's it. We were doing it to find investigators and to serve the members a little, but if nobody comes, it's not worth the time. As they say in Katchikel (a native dialect here in the mission): Ishkamik! (dead)

In Guatemala, summer is about to start, and so is the rainy season. Basically, it rains from February or March until about October, which will be fun.

Well, That's about all I have to say this week. Thank you all for your prayers, they are much needed.
Always remember that when you choose the right, you will be blessed. The heavens open based upon obedience to the commandments, and the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

I love you all!
Yours in the Faith,
Elder Nicholas Banks

No comments:

Post a Comment