Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Shoes

Dear All,

This past week has been pretty uneventful, with a couple of exceptions, basically P-Day yesterday. We had a "Super P-Day" with the zone. We ate Domino's pizza and watched the Emma Smith movie. It's pretty good. After that, we went to look for some shoes for me. Last Monday, I went and bought a pair, but they aren't apt for missionary work, just for zone conferences and interviews. One of my pairs of work shoes is really about to die, so I went after the movie yesterday to look for another pair. I had been praying to God to help me find a good pair of shoes to do missionary work. We went to one megapaca store where they sell a lot of shoes, but there almost wasn't a selection in my size. My companion suggested that we go to the other megapaca that's down the hill that sells some shoes as well, among other things. Usually their selection of shoes isn't that great, but I prayed, asking if the shoes I needed were in that store. I then felt that they were, so I said "yes" and we went. When we arrived, the store had just received a new shipment of shoes that they were still putting out. A pair caught my eye. They were a little big, but fit me. They were Florsheim, one of the few brands Mr. Mac sells for missionaries, and they looked good and were comfortable. They were brand new, sitting among many pairs of used shoes, and they were waiting just for me. I bought them, and they are on my feet right now, I had my testimony and my faith reinforced that God really does answer our prayers, and he cares about the little things. If he answers a little gringo's prayer about finding a pair of shoes, he'll definitely answer prayers about the things that really matter in life. He'll answer the prayers for guidance about life's big decisions: marriage, parenting, repentance, callings, whatever it may be. He will answer. He will answer prayers about investigators, and being able to prepare them for the covenant of baptism. I love our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ, and I know they live and love us. Whether it be one of life's big decisions, or just a pair of shoes, he is active in our lives and loves us. Sometimes he works in mysterious ways, but it is always for our good, especially when it's hard.

Last Tuesday, during District Meeting, the other elders in the district mentioned that I've been losing weight. I'll have to find a scale to see if they're right!

Right now we're working with some great people. We have a family, Juan Carlos and Tamara, and they're amazing. They're educated, and want to follow God's will. We just have to catch them at home, because they're very busy. He works in the port, unloading ships, and she's a computation teacher at the local school. I love them so much, and I will do everything in my power to be able to get them ready and baptized. We also have some more people we're working with, and the other elders will be having a baptism this Sunday, so I'll be the one to interview their candidate for baptism, being the district leader.

I don't really have much else to share, just that I am happier than ever to be a missionary. I'll be doing my first divisions as district leader today as well. Elder Nolasco will be coming here with me to work for the day, and I'm excited. I love the work, I love the people, and I love Guatemala. But above all, I love our Heavenly Father, and our Savior Jesus Christ. I will follow them until the end of my life and beyond, and I will do my very best to always do their will and accept their counsel.
I love you all. Thank you for your prayers. Please continue to pray for us.

Sincerely,

Elder Banks

No comments:

Post a Comment