Tuesday, March 12, 2013

President Brough

Dear All,

I just wanted to let you all know how awesome my mission president, President Brough is. I love him so much, and he has helped me in so many ways.

I forgot to mention last week that today we had our district meeting in the mission home, or as everyone here calls it, "La Casa del Presidente Brough." Then, Sis. Brough made us lunch, and we got to eat and chat a little with President and Sister Brough while we ate.

And since the meeting was a district meeting, and not a zone meeting, it was really cool, because only 8 missionaries were there in the mission home with President and Sister Brough. And, since it was a district meeting, the District Leader is in charge of directing the meeting.

The District Leader of the Villa Nueva district is yours truly.

But, it went extremely well. We had a practice about teaching The Gospel of Jesus Christ (What we refer to as Lesson 3), and I chose Elder Mendoza and his "beloved son" (the new missionary he is training) Elder Parker to teach two very special investigators, "Brother" and Sister Brough. It was really cool. President and Sister Brough asked some great questions, and we were able to learn a lot from him about how we can improve the work in our zone.

I'll also get to see him Thursday, because there will be a meeting for all the District Leaders in the mission, and on Saturday, which will be a zone conference.

Whenever he teaches, the Spirit is always present, and several times he has changed the topic of a zone conference, a district meeting, or some other meeting to fit the actual needs of the missionaries present. So, basically, I'm always super excited to talk to him, and I don't like it when meetings are over, because he really helps me and gives me the drive and confidence to keep working hard and doing my best.

My companion is excellent. I love him so much. He knows how to work, he follows my example, and we have a good time working. Since Elder Gabriel is serving in his own country, it's really cool to see his love for his own people. I love him and pray for him daily, and I hope that you all join me in prayer for him, for me, for our mission, and for each of our investigators. I don't know that I've ever had a companion for whom I've cared for so deeply. Elder Muñoz and I were just about best friends, but this is a different type of relationship, and I'm honored that the Lord chose me to be Elder Gabriel's companion. He's helping me to do what the Lord instructs us in 3 Nephi 27:27 "Wherefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am."

Also, Elder Zavala, one of the elders in our district, who is in Villa Nueva 2, will be sent to a different area tomorrow, and his companion, Elder Ward, will be receiving a brand new missionary, meaning that there are a lot of new missionaries in our district!

Anyway, I just wanted to remind you all of a principle taught in numerous places in the Scriptures:
"I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say, but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." (D&C 82:10)
"If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15)
"Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ and shall endure to the end, thus saith the Father: 'Ye shall have eternal life.'" (2 Nephi 31:20)

The way in which we show our love to God and endure to the end is keeping his commandments, or obeying him. The first scripture in Spanish says "I the Lord am OBLIGATED when ye do what I say..." So really, we come to learn that he is completely obligated to fulfill the promises he has made us. If not, he would not be God. God is just, and he will give us whatever we deserve, both right now, and in the life to come.
May we all make an effort to be able to live more Christlike lives, and to be able to deserve the best that God has to offer us.

Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds.
"I know my Father lives, and loves me too.
The Spirit whispers this to me and tells me it is true,
He tells me it is true."
"He lives, all Glory to his name!
He lives, my Savior still the same!
Oh, sweet the Joy this sentence gives:
'I Know that my Redeemer lives!'"
This is my testimony to each of you, and I hope it helped at least one of you to come closer to God on this beautiful afternoon.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Sincerely,
Elder Banks

No comments:

Post a Comment